time to make christmas mincemeat (it's almost stir-up sunday)

Christmas mincemeat 2012
Just in case you may have forgotten, this Sunday (25th November) is Stir-Up Sunday, which according to tradition is the last day to make mincemeat and puddings; giving them time to mature and be ready for Christmas. So this is a little reminder to check your cupboards for supplies and make sure you have everything you need. And if you have never made it before, all I can say is, give it a go. It is very, very simple to assemble (no cooking required) and the end results are delicious.

Since in past years, I have been a little lazy about this, both last year and this year I have decided to get my act together and have already made mine. (I'm not being smug, just relieved that I managed to get organised in time!)


This year's mincemeat varied from last year in only two minor details. The first is that I used a grated quince instead of using cooking apples and the second is that half my mincemeat was soaked in kirsch rather than plain brandy (it's what I had in the cupboard) and the other half of the mincemeat was soaked in non-alcoholic ginger ale as I wanted to keep one batch alcohol-free.

And I learned from Rupert at o cozinheiros este algarve that if you want a completely vegan version (and if you can't get hold of vegetarian suet), then it is quite a good idea to use a banana . . . you'll get a slightly different flavour but it might be interesting to try. (Although I can't vouch for its keeping qualities).

Elisabeth Ayrton in The Cookery of England, gives a traditional Yorkshire recipe of mincemeat that includes "darkly chunky marmalade", as well as ground ginger. Maybe next year!


Oh, and don't forget to make a wish! 

p.s.

If you are wondering what other things you can do with mincemeat other than the traditional pies, here are a few suggestions:

3 comments:

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

Thanks for the reminder.With regard to the banana substitute for suet,it has a very short shelf life and has to be made just a few days before Christmas.
This year I am going to try Quincemeat.

Karen S Booth said...

Thanks so much for linking up with my wee custard mince pies, or mint spies as my dad calls them! And, such a wonderful post too Rachel, I always make my mincemeat and puddings on stir up Sunday and I shall be following that rite of passage this Sunday as always, plus,I will only stir the pudding mixture clockwise too......more about that on my blog this weekend. Karen

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Rupert - I love your Quincemeat recipe - I wish I had used more quinces in mine . . . next year!

Karen - I didn't forget to stir clockwise - got to keep the bogeymen away. Love your Christmas pudding recipe too.