lemon and lime curd

lemon and lime curd
There was a break in the rain, the gunmetal hue of the sky was replaced with a hint of blue and the sun seemed to sparkle. I could almost convince myself that it was late spring. Ever the optimist, I wanted to celebrate with cupcakes, packed with almonds and citrus, as perhaps a portent of things to come. But first I needed to make some lemon curd. I wanted a curd that was sweet and zesty and explodes on your tongue like sherbet lemons!

I was never much one for lemon curd when I was younger, scarred by memories of lemon meringue pie, as repellent a concoction as I have ever had the misfortune to eat. Having said that, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense not to like lemon curd since I like lemons, I like butter, I like eggs and I even like a helping of sugar, so why not lemon curd? I suspect it was just that I hadn't had the good stuff, the home-made stuff. Now was the time to find out.

I ended up making lemon and lime curd as I only had one lemon. Having said that I could quite easily have just made an all lime curd or an orange curd instead. Now I am wondering what grapefruit curd would taste like . . . must bookmark that idea for another rainy day.

Curd turned out perfectly but as for my ability to forecast the weather, not so accurately . . . there were freak storms and even a tornado across central England last night. Bah! At least we have the citrus cupcakes to look forward to.

Makes about 2 small jam jars
Skill level: Easy

ingredients:
1 x lemon
2 x limes
200g caster sugar
110g butter
2 x large eggs
1 egg yolk

directions:
  1. Zest the lemon and lime, before juicing them. Make sure the zest is finely chopped.
  2. A quick tip if you want to try to get more juice out of your lemon or lime is to either roll it on a hard surface, with the heel of your hand. This helps to break down the fibres and releases some of the juice. Another method is to give the fruit a burst in the microwave, on about 10 second bursts. But probably not more than 20 to 30 second bursts in total. You could end up with a hot citrus bomb!
  3. Place a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Make sure that the bowl isn't actually in contact with the water.
  4. Add the zest, fruit juice and sugar to the bowl and stir until the sugar is beginning to melt.
  5. Add the butter and continue to stir occasionally until all of the liquid has combined.
  6. Beat the eggs together with the egg yolk. Slowly add to the butter mixture and continue to stir.
  7. Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened. Do not allow it to boil.
  8. Pour into clean pots. Allow to cool and then refrigerate.It will stay fresh in the fridge for up to about 2 weeks.

tips:
  • Lemon curd has lots of uses. You may want to use it as a filling for an alternative Victoria Sponge cake, or with fresh raspberries in a delightful summer sandwich.
  • Lemon curd is lovely stirred into syllabub and of course delicious on freshly baked bread.
  • Keep the leftover lemon and limes. I put them in a bowl of boiling water and then microwave, as it helps to degrease and deodorise your microwave.

10 comments:

chris said...

Hello! After visiting your blog, I invite you to join us in the "International Directory Blogspot"
For this is the very simple, just follow our blog, enter your Country, your blog url, and you will automatically integrate into the Country list.
We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world to share with us the different passions, fashion, paintings, artwork, photos, poems and so be able to find in other countries people with similar passions.
I think this community could also interest you.
Have a great day with the hope that you follow our blog "Directory".
After your approval to join us, you will receive your badge
Regards
Chris
To find out, click on the link below:
http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

I constantly make curd,all Lemon / all Orange
but your combination of lemon and lime
sounds great, I am going to try it next time.The parents are coming next week so I shall try it out on the curd generation!!!-Thank you.Love the Kitchen deodorant tip too.On the other tip can I take this chance to say I must be the only invidual left on this planet never to have used a microwave!!ol

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

I think lemon curd might just become one of my new favourite ingredients. Yay!
As for microwave, you are not missing much, although it does do great steamed veg. But mostly I use it for reheating cups of tea!

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

Its late at night,and I have never responded to your comment on my blog where I said Nigella was no longer a domestic goddess at 50.You too shall go to the ball and you too will be a goddess at 50 Rachel.A revered literary goddess as well.

Letterslive said...

Home made lemon curd is a treat, but one that I don't make very often. It is something that my Mama (she will be 90 in a month's time)has always made for us. With love - luscious and sharp.

Anonymous said...

Just come across your blog and loving it. Very inspired by your curd, I'm thinking of turning it into an ice cream. Like I do with nearly everything, I think I should do a separate ice cream blog!

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Algarve - I can't begin to tell you how much I laughed at your comment. Surprised you couldn't hear the roar in Portugal! When I first started writing this blog, one of my friends started calling me "Rachella" . . .

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Letterslive - that is so lovely! I am firmly convinced that food made with love tastes much better. Always! (I do hope you have managed to get some of your mother's recipes too :) )

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Fdahome - Hi David. Thank you so much for introducing yourself. I love your site too (and am filled with envy!) I don't think you should limit yourself to just ice cream, the food you are making looks incredible!

BTW, if you haven't seen Kavey Eats' website, check out her monthly ice cream competition, I think it might be right up your street!
http://www.kaveyeats.com/2012/02/bloggers-scream-for-ice-cream.html

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I love curd. Haven't tried lemon and lime together, it looks yummy. Love the tips. I have put curd in a victoria sponge before, but I love the idea of swirling it through syllabub.